Friday, December 16, 2011

Pinterest Friday

Ah, Pinterest.  We've been having a love-hate relationship lately.  I love finding all kinds of great ideas, but I hate that I don't have enough time in the day to actual bring those ideas to life!  But not today people, not today - I actually made something!  Here's the original pin:

Homemade Sugar Scrubs
I've actually pinned a number of sugar scrub ideas with the plan for making them as Christmas gifts.  The scrubs that are linked to this pin look delicious enough to eat, but unfortunately, don't come with any recipes (you can pay to buy a book of the recipes...boooo).  I thought, it can't be that hard to figure out how to make a sugar scrub so I did a little research online and after finding lots of different methods, I came up with three of my own.  I plan on gifting them to a family member. 

From left to right:  "All Day Glow" Vanilla-Honey Body Scrub, "Pie in the Sky" Pumpkin Spice Face Scrub, "Wake Up Toesies" Peppermint Foot Scrub


I love the way each of the scrubs turned out.  They smell delicious, look like they cost a lot more than they actually did, and make your skin feel silky smooth.  Plus, the tags make them look extra cute and homemade.  Here's what I wrote inside the tags, along with the recipe.  (A note about the recipes:  The measurements aren't exact.  If it's too dry, add more oil.  If it's too wet, add more sugar.  If you want to use another kind of oil, go for it.  Experiment until you find something that you like.)


"All Day Glow"
3 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 tsp vitamin E oil (natural preservative)
2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp honey

Mix well and put in a jar.


"Pie in the Sky"

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vitamin E oil
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice

Mix well and put in a jar.



"Wake Up Toesies"


3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 tsp vitamin E oil
1 tsp peppermint extract
handful (6?) round peppermint candies

Mix everything well, except for candies.  Separate mixture into two bowl.  In a small bag, crush candies until they are finely ground.  Pour candies into one of the bowls and mix.  Pour pink and white scrub into layers into a jar.  Or....just mix it all together and call it a day.  It will still be just as good!

Happy Holidays and to hoping your skin feels extra smooth in the days to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment